Coronet Instructional Films were shown in American schools starting in about 1941. The company was an offshoot of Coronet Magazine, a digest-sized magazine that itself was owned by Esquire, Inc. Owner David Smart was deeply interested in visual education and the power of the film to teach and convince, and built a full studio on his estate in Glenview, Illinois, where at its height hundreds of films were cranked out each year. The films were sold to schools and libraries by a network of distributors and were quite successful -- in 1976 Coronet celebrated its sale of 1 million prints.
Most Coronet films were shot in Kodachrome, but Kodachrome prints of many titles are quite rare. It was cheaper to purchase black-and-white prints, and most sales were black-and-white.
For more Coronet history, see Ken Smith's excellent book "Mental Hygiene," published by Blast Books (www.blastbooks.com).
Click to see a Tag Cloud of the Archive's Prelinger Collection.
Click for more information about the Prelinger Archives.
Information about Prelinger Library, an appropriation-friendly library
of printed materials located in San Francisco, is here
Click to send an email to Rick